Saturday, July 31, 2010

A Little More to Learn

A few years back, All I Really Needed to Know I Learned in Kindergarten was a pretty popular book/poster/oh-so-thrilling staff development topic. (Disclaimer: I've only skimmed the poster and doodled on my notebook through the meetings. I have no clue what this book actually says.) I have come to the conclusion, though, that though you might be able to survive (maybe) on what you learned in kindergarten, there is a lot more to learn. For your consideration:
  • At some point in your life you will be really, really, tired and you will see a donkey at the side of the road. The donkey's ears will be pointing up and its head will be turned so that its ears look like a horn. You'll think, "Oh, there's a unicorn. You don't see those much anymore." And it will be a few moments before you realize that unicorns do not, in fact, exist. And you'll still have a full day of chores and errands ahead of you.
  • Little people can have loud voices. This isn't a metaphor; I have an extremely loud baby.
  • Save often.
  • Sometimes the best decisions are made with very little thought.
  • The best TV shows are canceled first.
  • Snow days are a lot of work for grown-ups.
I'm sure there are more, but that's a good list for starters. Jack has made it through kindergarten, but we'll be starting first grade in a few weeks since there is still so much more to learn!

No comments: