Saturday, November 6, 2010

Books to Treasure: Steve Jenkins

This year's Books to Treasure speaker was Steve Jenkins. I didn't know beforehand who last year's honoree was, but I knew this one because his books are amazing. A.maz.ing. Really.

He gave a very entertaining talk which included some of his earliest work, found in his mother's attic a few years ago.

He talked quite a bit about books and his kids and books he loved growing up. (This is a picture of his wife reading to their youngest child.) I found this interview and he seems like a pretty interesting guy.

After his talk, there was a question and answer session.

Jack asked if he cut out his pictures freehanded or if he drew them first. The latter, not the former.

Once again we were at the end of the line, but it seemed to move a little quicker this year. I was especially glad about that, because as we were waiting I started feeling worse and worse and my friend asked if we wanted to leave and she would get our books signed for us. I was in it for the long haul, so I stayed--and I made it all the way to the foot of my parents' driveway before getting sick, so I'm counting it as a win for the night!


No comments: