Saturday, November 6, 2010

Caldecott Medal Winners

In preparation for this year's Books to Treasure program, we spent our week focusing on different Caldecott Medal winners and trying out similar techniques. This year's speaker was Steve Jenkins, whose book What Do You Do With a Tail Like This was a Caldecott Honor winner in 2004.

Our attempts at cut paper collage.

Swimmy was an Honor book in 1964--it was up against Where the Wild Things Are.

We tried out printmaking to make lots of copies of the same image. I thought about making our own stamps, but reality set in and we just drew backgrounds and used stamps we already had.

I also modified a bit when we read When Sophie Gets Angry--Really, Really Angry... (2000 Honor book). The illustrations were painted, but I couldn't bring myself to try paints with Alice, so we used colored pencils. I have never been a fan of colored pencils; the leads always seemed to break easily and the teachers never wanted you to sharpen them in the real pencil sharpener, so you had to use the crummy hand held one and then the lead would fall out. I grabbed a pack of Crayola's twistable colored pencils to take on our nature studies and we have been using them almost every day lately. The colors are nice and there is no sharpening drama. (Crayola didn't pay me to say that, but if they did, I would repeat what I just told you. I love them.)

Jack has become quite the tree climber lately, which lead to my next choice of book.

A Tree is Nice won the Caldecott Medal in 1957. Jack really enjoyed this one.

I had a different activity in mind, but we were rained out, so we ended up making leaf rubbings and then painting tree trunks.

Many of the ideas we used this week came from Storybook Art. This is a fabulous resource with ideas for all ages of kids.

We had a lot of fun this week, so we may try this each year!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The reason teachers didn't let you use the real sharpener was because the colored pencil leads always broke off in them.....so DO NOT use the sharpener kids....like they ever listened to me! Ha!