Monday, November 8, 2010

Entertaining Alice

I know it's hard to believe when you look at this sweet face, but I worry about leaving Alice to her own devices. Her own devices usually involve dangerous heights and/or the cat. Thanks to the internet--and especially Carisa's blog--I have found a few things to keep her busy without hurting herself in the process.

Alice loves buttons. We have a big jar of them that Jack used to like to play with, so I got it out for her. These trays (I saw them on Carisa's blog first) come in handy for all sorts of things!

She also likes to put them in the muffin tin.

I made her a fall-themed sensory box that she has had a lot of fun with. She also likes to chew on the beans, though.

I got these pegs and a couple of peg boards at a consignment sale and they are out almost daily. Sometimes I give her different containers to fill with the pegs.


Beanbags are also a hit.

If you have a toddler, go to YouTube and search "Hap Palmer Baby Songs"--you can thank me later. Alice watches these over and over and follows the actions. It is so cute, and you know I'm not biased.

I found those clips after searching for the rhythm stick song Alice does in her gymnastics class each week. She calls them "bup bups" after the sound her teachers make when they tap the sticks.

These things usually buy me some time to get a chore or two done or do some school with Jack. Any other ideas to entertain Alice?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is the best blog you've ever had! So cute! And I am not biased at all!

Alice said...

Awesome ideas! I am so right there with you with Zoe. Her brothers call her "The Destroyer" so whenever she is out of sight for more than 30 seconds I start to worry.

Sometimes I put her at the table with paper taped to it and let her go nuts with markers, usually a no-no. That keeps her busy for a long time. And if I strip her down first and the markers are washable it's not too big a mess to worry about. The other fail-safe option for us is any kind of water time. I've gotten her baby bathtub out and put her in it in the kitchen with some stuff to pour with. Then I can do a little school and the kitchen floor finally gets washed. Ha!